Monday, November 22, 2010

A Challenge of all challenges

In planning for our trip to Peru this June (well, Carolyn and Linda are doing all the research...) we're considering taking on one of the most amazing adventures in the world - HIKING THE INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICHU.  It's a 4-day backpacking hike through the Andes Mountains - about 30 miles total, up up up, then down down down into Machu Pichu at sunrise the 4th day.  You camp in tents, there are no "facilities" or showers, but you see the most majestic vistas, untouched villages/people, and see everything from condors to llamas.  We're also considering getting a much nicer hotel room for the day we get back :o).  This something I've had on my bucket list ever since my friend Nicole did it 2 years ago.  What an amazing experience it would be - I can't even imagine.  If I could do THAT, then maybe I could do the 2-night 20 mile backpacking 4th year hike that I've always avoided! hahaha 

So, this may be THE thing to get me back on an exercise and diet regimen to help me drop the next 30 pounds.  Having a goal like that would definitely help (it sure did for Hawaii and it was nothing CLOSE to this adventure!)   I'm cautiously excited.  We're all going to our respective doctors to make sure there's nothing hindering (Carolyn's back, Linda's heart, my whatever).  Then we'll make the decision, but I'm hoping for YES YES YES!  What a GREAT way to celebrate a BIG birthday!

1 comment:

Monique said...

Sounds amazing! How many days are you going to be there before the hike? I have a cousin that was there last year and the altitude gave him quite a bit of trouble, lots of nausea, etc. Hope you have time to acclamate :)