OK, so this evening I went to the temple as I'm trying to do more frequently this year. I hit great traffic, listened to a great talk on CD on the long drive, and when I got into the chapel, it was empty. Just me and the great organ music - I love that...sometimes if I get there too late to just sit and listen to the music, I'll move over to the next session's side so I can have some calm, peaceful, quiet time with the music. So, as 3-4 other people started milling in, it was still nice and quiet...UNTIL little older lady comes in and sits down in the very back and begins "whispering" to a man. She "whispered" for 15 minutes and I kept looking back giving my "hey lady, shut up" face...but the nicer version, 'cause I was in the temple, but she must have been blind. The usher lady did NOTHING. (I wanted to turn her in for negligence - I told Gail later on when I saw her.) Finally, I couldn't concentrate with my thoughts, with the music, with reading...nothing. So, I calmly walked back to Sister Chatty-Cathy and let her know that we could ALL hear her entire LONG conversation and would she mind stepping out into the hallway so the rest of us could do what we came here to do - have some quiet time! She was all apologetic and stopped talking. By the time I went back to where I was sitting, she had started up again, quieter for about 15 seconds, and then was pretty much back to her volume of comfort. I gave up. I wouldn't sit by her in the session (there we
re only 9 ladies anyway - lots of room).
re only 9 ladies anyway - lots of room).People need to realize that their 'whisper' voice has noisy "s" sounds and it's completely annoying in the temple, especially in the contemplating areas. A few weeks ago, a similar thing happened when 2 people met up behind me and subsequently began a conversation about there the best place to get a new car battery is and who could install it. Seriously - why did you come to the temple? To bother those of us who are too quiet for you????? So, Next time you're tempted to go and hold an entirely inappropriate conversation, please be kind enough to use sign language or go outside or in the hall and have the decency to let those who came with things on their mind have the peace and quiet they drove 30 minutes in rush hour traffic to find. Period. End of story. And that's how I feel about that!

No comments:
Post a Comment