I am, indeed, alive. I had some further complications (from the experience dictated in the last post) but am relieved to say I have recovered from both Typhoid AND Yellow Fever. All that and never having left Las Vegas, baby! I made it to work Monday, but by 2:30 I had hit my limit and got extremely exhausted - 2 friends drove me home due to my reflexes being slowed down. I canceled the class I teach at night and didn't hear ANY complaints!! Tuesday, I made it all the way until 10am and threw in the towel, waved the white flag in surrender, and called it quits. I stayed home for 2 days just resting, feeling guilty for missing work, and getting very little accomplished except laying around feeling sorry for my stupid self! My doctor actually called me Tuesday evening to check up on me and told me to take it easy a few days more as the vaccinations worked their course. I'm happy to say I not only made it through work on Thurs and Fri, but I was actually semi-productive!! It feels good to be back on my feet and have my brain functioning as good as it ever did before....One of the things I really missed for a week was WALKING and exercising. It felt good to get out hiking yesterday - we did the 6-mile White Rock loop at RedRock and couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather or conditions. Linda brought her hiking backpack that she plans on using in Peru just to try out hiking with the weight on her back. I think it's WAAYYY to early to do that!!! But she made it just fine (her and her Minnie Mouse red gloves!) We did the 6 miles of elevation gains and losses in about 3 hours - hiking at a steady quick pace the entire way. It was great exercise and validation that we're getting better and better prepared for our big hike this summer.
Lastly, I had to come home to get a talk ready for church today - on SERVICE. I always know that when I accept an assignment like this, that I will have a trying time the week before in preparation. Things can be going very well for weeks, until I have to prepare a talk or lesson. Then I get all tempted, worried, self-doubting, etc. until it's over. Anyway, service is something that you grow into and develop different levels of. I thought of the "3 degrees of service:"
1. Bachelor's degree - serving out of duty, the Golden Rule stuff, something on our 'to do' list, etc.
2. Master's degree - serving with compassion, being your 'brother's keeper,' losing yourself, praying for someone and then going to work to serve them - not just lip service, etc.
3. Doctoral degree - serving out of gratitude for Christ - being His hands to serve like he served, highest form of worship and hardest to attain
"Life is no spiritual picnic. Not one of us wants this journey to be a brief flirtation with spirituality or even a notable finite chapter. The road of discipleship is not for the spiritually faint of heart." (Anderson)
"Often it is in simple acts that confirm divine love and awareness." (Christofferson)
"We build relationships one person at a time - by being sensitive to the needs of others, serving them, and giving of our time and talents." (Uchtdorf)
"True charity is love in action." (Monson)
I guess it wasn't that bad - the best part was having my dad come and sit by the back door. He kept smiling and winking at me before and during the talk. I don't think he's heard me give a talk since my homecoming talk 17 years ago. I hope I did him proud!

1 comment:
Robyn, wish I could have heard you speak. I am sure it was amazing...Love you
Post a Comment