Saturday, February 5, 2011

Just another Bad Hair Day!

Well, I finally have an interesting story to tell.  It's a "hoot" (according to Brit).  Sit back and enjoy this one...

Background Info:  On Tuesday, Carolyn and I took the day off to go to the Health Dept for our travel immunizations.  I got Hep A and B, Typhoid, Yellow Fever, and had them throw in a Flu Shot as a free bonus.  Then we had an enjoyable day, meeting my dad for lunch, going to REI to look at hiking gear, etc.  I've felt fine - except for a sore arm - since.
Friday morning:  I got to school and was running around doing my usual 'teacher-huntdown' to give them things for testing and found myself getting slightly lightheaded.  So I sat down, then put my head between my knees, and after a few seconds, decided to try and make it back to my room so if I passed out, it would be in the privacy of my own room!  I made it as far as the library and sat down in a comfy rocking chair.  Gina, who was with me, started to get worried, as did I when I realized I was shaking somewhat.  She went and got Barbara, our nurse who HAPPENED to be there (she isn't usually on Fridays).  She took my blood pressure with her little equipment and it was sky-high.  So, they wheel-chaired me to the nurse's office and called the paramedics down the street. 
Fire Dept Paramedics:  In about 2 minutes, the office was filled with 2 companies of paramedics - the Fire Dept ones took care of me first and everything turned out just fine - blood sugar, blood pressure, temperature, heart monitor - I was beginning to think I was crazy.  It was then that I told them that the only thing different was the fact I had gotten those vaccinations 3 days prior.  When Cherese busted her way into the nurse's office and leapt over their bags to come sit right next to me, I felt much calmer.  It's funny how you can feel so alone and slightly 'scared' one moment, and the proximity of a friend can take some of that away.  I refused to go to the hospital (I wasn't DYING!) and promised I'd go to my doctor.  Then the boys left (here's how out of it I was...I didn't even 'check out' the boys!  I always do!!!!)
Ambulance Company:  An obvious butch "girl who likes girls" steps forward and bashes on the fire dept boys and says she had more questions because they weren't letting her see the numbers on the monitors, etc.  Then she had the audacity to call me OLD - 39 is NOT old!!!!!   She was all bossy and snooty - in front of her trainee - telling me something could really be wrong with either my heart or brain and that she really wanted to take me to the hospital.  I told her to go take a flying leap...in so many words.  Later, in the car, my boss asked me if that was a BOY or a GIRL because she was so confused - enough said, but the rest of that conversation was hysterical and we won't let her live that one down!
The phone call:  My boss had somehow gotten my cell phone and after showing her how to unlock it (another comedic moment), she called my doctor's office.  I told her that it was a 50-50 chance she'd get a 'bitchy' reception and to throw around my name anyway.  All I heard was my boss getting 'strong' with her on the phone and ended with "I will be bringing her into the office in FIVE MINUTES!"  I looked over at Cherese and said "Don't leave me with her - COME WITH ME!"  So fortunately, she did - she went to find my purse/keys and hers as well and followed us up to Dr. Forte's office.  I was WELL taken care of from the few staff who were involved and am so grateful for them!
The office Visit:  I didn't have to wait too long before getting called back.  I was feeling much better then, except for some vertigo was still throwing me off.  They did an EKG - everything was normal, of course.  I reported all my normal results from the paramedics.  Dr. Forte came in and spent a good 20 minutes with me, beginning with "I just got a strong talking-to from your boss about my office staff."  I was MORTIFIED!  I told her she was very worried and apologized.  She spent time looking up the vaccinations side-effects and low and behold, vertigo-ish stuff was a side effect of 2 of them.  So that's what we're going with - a Vertigo episode.  She checked me out really well and gave me a dramomine-type pill to take with an order to be driven home and go to bed to sleep it off, but to not be left alone.   While waiting for the phlebotemist to draw some blood, I had the nurse go get Cherese and Dr. M. to keep me company, since they hadn't heard from me for about an hour.  Cherese was great, until the needles came out - she ended up "cowering" in the corner until it was done.  Poor girl - what a trooper.  I'm sure it will turn out all good - no worries on my part.
Home Sweet Home:  I got dropped off (my boss had been driving my car - scooted the seat WAY far up!)  with orders to get upstairs and into bed.  Kristi arrived and climbed in bed with me and took care of me for the afternoon and into the evening.  What a great sista!  My dad came over to visit (I was dozing off by then) and was nice enough to go get a prescription filled.  Cherese called in the afternoon to check on me and talked with Kristi- I was pretty much in la-la land by then.  Loralee stopped by later that evening to go to the gym...surprise - not going!  And Shan came over to check on me on her way home from class and moved my car into the garage for me.  It's nice to be cared for sometimes, ya know?  Maybe letting people know you need them pans out...there's a new thought!  Usually, I'd just die alone in my bed until I felt better myself.  Hmmm.
Grateful for all the helping
hands to get me back on
my feet!
The day after:  I woke up this morning after a LONG fitful sleep feeling just fine.  I was picked up by a friend from work to go out to Henderson for a workshop and was thankful to not have any issues besides the beginnings of a headache again.  I took it easy the rest of the day, laughing on the phone with Cherese about all the funny things that happened, and later enjoying a visit from Shan about funny things that happened in her class she taught today.  I have been overly exhausted this afternoon/evening and plan to head to bed early.  My brain has more or less caught up with my eyes now so it doesn't make me crazy to look around anymore.  I think the brunt of it is over - I can't wait for the exhaustion to disappear.  Just glad to have a number of funny moments/stories to recount from here on out!  It's with HUMOR that made this day less mortifying and embarrassing. 

Besides being slightly embarrassed to show back up at work, what I'm most ticked off about this whole experience is.....I had to take a SICK DAY off work - that screws me up for getting 4 personal days next year!  That means something to me!  Aaarrrggghhhh!  But I'm very thankful for my good health and for people around me who care - friends, family, coworkers, doctor.  I am truely blessed.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That is too funny! I am glad you are okay. Sounds like a good excuse to take it easy today.

Unknown said...

Glad you got taken care of. Sounds like a crazy day. I'm glad you feel better. I remember one of my vaccines for Guatemala made me so sick, I got the shakes and went to sleep at 5pm. Woke back up at about 7pm and 5 minutes later fell asleep till the next morning. Crazy!