Today I took my nieces on a long hike at Mt. Charleston. There is a 6 mile hike through the woods to the top of some mountains that leads to what is known as RAINTREE. This is the oldest living tree in Nevada, at over 3,000 years old and it's huge for this area. The hike gained 1700 feet in elevation over 3 miles and I won't lie to ya - it was a lot of steep switchbacks, but shaded much of the way by beautiful pine trees. It's nice once in a while to escape the 115 degree heat of Vegas and head up to 85 degrees (or less) and the fresh scent of real PINE. Alli and Katie surpassed my wildest dreams at how fast they can climb and their toes are sure sore tonight after descending 3 miles with their toes pressing into their shoes. I know mine are! It was a fun day and WE DID IT! It's good to push ourselves beyond our supposed-limits every so often and prove that we can do hard things!
Saturday, August 1, 2009
HIKING WITH MY NIECES
Today I took my nieces on a long hike at Mt. Charleston. There is a 6 mile hike through the woods to the top of some mountains that leads to what is known as RAINTREE. This is the oldest living tree in Nevada, at over 3,000 years old and it's huge for this area. The hike gained 1700 feet in elevation over 3 miles and I won't lie to ya - it was a lot of steep switchbacks, but shaded much of the way by beautiful pine trees. It's nice once in a while to escape the 115 degree heat of Vegas and head up to 85 degrees (or less) and the fresh scent of real PINE. Alli and Katie surpassed my wildest dreams at how fast they can climb and their toes are sure sore tonight after descending 3 miles with their toes pressing into their shoes. I know mine are! It was a fun day and WE DID IT! It's good to push ourselves beyond our supposed-limits every so often and prove that we can do hard things!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Way to go!!!!!!! Looks like you are truly making the most of your summer.
I wish I could have gone! Good luck with going back to school next week!
You know, all the hiking you have done this summer, maybe you could just walk to work and back everyday, think of all the pondering you would get done, and all the gas you would save!!!
Post a Comment