
Some people may wonder what exactly I do, since I'm a teacher, but don't have an actual class. I'm an ELL Specialist, which means I work with all the kids who are not English proficient (I have over 200 at my school). I train teachers in strategies and theory, model lessons for them, and help them decide how to effectively teach their kiddos who might not understand 100% of what they're saying. I work with groups of kids in my office doing all sorts of language activities and literacy activities and monitor their progress monthly with their teachers. Translating for parents in the office is a fun experience as well - it gives me a chance to use my Spanish quite often and it gives me a chance to do some good PR with the parents. I'm also teaching 2 Chinese clubs during lunch/recess to 70 4th and 5th graders. This semester, I'm teaching teachers a course called "Reality Spanish" after school on Mondays, which should be a lot of fun. Combine that with "all other duties as assigned," I'm a pretty busy gal, but I enjoy it. This will be my 4th year in this position and I think I'll head back to the classroom next year (budget crisis and all). So, that's what I'll be up to starting Monday!
2 comments:
I hope all is going well with school so far. The beginning of the year is always so chaotic. You are one busy gal!!
Okay, so I've been thinking about leaving the classroom to be an ELLF a lot lately. I think I'm really too insecure about it though. I mean, I've done Dual Language and Bilingual for 9 of our 11 years, but I just don't know. Any advice???
Post a Comment