Saturday, September 20, 2008

A day of reflection...

Today has been a long day. I attended the memorial services of a teacher-friend of mine which got me really thinking. That's a dangerous thing to do sometimes. There was standing room only as dozens of current and past colleagues joined with her friends and family. It was interesting to learn about the colleague I thought I knew pretty well - there was much more to her than met the eye. She was always happy, funny, and supportive and her presence will be greatly missed.

Later tonight, Carolyn and I drove out to Southern Highlands (30 miles away) to attend a concert in the park. Bonnie, who trained me as a teacher 12 years ago in the ARL program and who was my biggest cheerleader, invited me to come hear her "praise band" perform under the stars. It was a beautiful, relaxing evening hearing upbeat religious music. It felt like the first FALL evening and cooled down considerably. I also ran into some other friends from the good old ARL days. It's nice to be remembered sometimes.

Today makes me stop and think how I'll be remembered when my time comes. I'm just not quite sure.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I was reading an article the other day about a women who had passed away and all that she was and did in her life. and like you it made me wonder... what does my life represent. You know... the have I done any good in the world today...kindof thinking. What does mylife represent.

You my friend are so good so giving... your whole life has and continues to be about someone else... what you can do... what you can give... what you can learn and share with others that will be of a benefit to all involeved. You to me are the epitome of a selfless life.Thank-you for your wonderful example

Unknown said...

I know how you'll be remembered by me anyway. A great friend who helped me get through a ruff patch on my mission. And always makes me laugh. I have a feeling you'll be remembered by all in a good way. I'll always remember sitting at Dona Luis and hearing Sunshine say something like "this will never happen again us girls sitting here in the middle of Guatemala..." I'll never forget that day because you two helped me breath again. Love ya, Paula