On Saturday, my school hosted the finale of a 12-week "running club" - students, teachers, parents. They ran a 5K in cold morning wind and it was quite fun. I attached myself to a kindergartner, a daughter of a coworker, and jogged/walked/dragged her on the 8 laps around the school, each time getting another mark on our hands, celebrating. Cassie and I were dead last - the medals and certificates were already being distributed, but on we walked (prodded with the prospect of a popsicle at the end - she was more excited about that than the medal!) It was good for me to do this - I, myself, wanted to try running/jogging it as a personal goal, but when I saw Cassie, knowing how difficult this is for her each week, and that her mom was unable to run with her, I decided to put my goals aside and "hang" with her. I enjoyed sticking out my tongue and waving my hands by my ears encouraging her to "catch me," holding her hand, playing games, and other fun taunts. But when we crossed the finish line, I motioned to a teacher to have the PE teacher announce her name (she announced each one as they crossed earlier) and the crowd turned around and cheered for her. It was really cool. And her first question was...where's my popsicle?
But an even cooler story is one of sheer kindness and selflessness. Three boys - Cole, Cameron, and Alexis - were neck-in-neck in the lead the entire time. As they rounded the last corner to head towards the finish line, they all bumped into each other and tripped a little. Alexis went down, and Cameron lost his shoe. But they both kept running to the end, cheering each other on. Alexis had been in the front the entire time, and was the child to fall down on the curve. I did not hear the end of the story until this morning at opening ceremonies. Apparently, Cameron, who came in 1st after all, GAVE his 1st place medal to Alexis, who should have come in 1st the entire race. Then, Cole, who came in 2nd, GAVE his medal to Cameron and Cole ended with 3rd place. The principal teared up this morning as she had the 3 boys come up and told the story to the entire school. Then, of course, our song of the month was "I'm Proud to Be An American" and all the teachers teared up. It's nice to work at a place that fosters "kindness," even amongst the kiddos.
But the coolest story of the day...our 2nd grade is hatching chicken/duck eggs and I got to witness something I've never seen EVER before - a chick actually pecking it's way out of the egg and it's first moments of life. It was one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed. I was mesmerized for a good 15 minutes. It's amazing thing - life. All in all, between the 4 classes, I think they hatched 12 today alone. I can't wait to see a duckling!
And finally, I did something I thought I'd never, ever, ever do. I bought a banana. Yes, you read it right. A banana. I can't stand the smell, texture, taste, or even thought of a banana. But I've got to try and incorporate it into my diet. So, I took about 1/5 of it and sliced it into my Magic Bullet blender with my protein powder. It took me a good 30 seconds to talk myself into drinking my shake. It looked the same as always, It smelled the same as always. I thought I was good to go. THEN I took a sip. Faint banana taste. Another sip. Stronger banana taste. I couldn't quit yet...another sip...GAG reflex, regurgitation, spit out, and poured it all out into the sink. I just couldn't take the taste. It was screaming "banana" in all my senses. And I didn't even add that much!!! Oh well, at least I can say I tried.




1 comment:
All I can say to all of that (except the banana) is, WOW!
You motivate.
You know how to be amazed.
You don't know how to eat a banana.
Two out of three ain't bad...
Post a Comment