Carolyn and I were asked to help take the 4th years (camp terminology) on a pre-hike to Cathedral Rock yesterday. It was fun to actually hit some dirt this time hiking up to a really beautiful vista. We've been doing the road so much, I forgot what hiking in dirt/rocks felt like! And it was GREAT to get up there. The girls were great, as usual, and we only hit one big patch of snow to hike through. Upon reaching the top (about a 1.5 mile hike UP), the mountains behind us were breathtaking. I tried some new socks with "toes" in them - supposedly to help prevent blisters - they did, but I think they made my toes go to sleep a little! Oh well - trying out all sorts of things before the big trek....in 21 days!
In the afternoon, Shan and I had the opportunity to attend an amazing book signing/party for a good friend of ours who published her first book. They had a band, beautiful catering, and at least 20 tables decorated in the parking lot of a gallery. Ramona and her sister (who illustrated the book) seemed like they were having the best time ever signing books, taking pictures, etc. I'm so proud of her - she's been working on this for several years and has real personal interest to the story. Perserverance paid off - her family was incredibly proud.
Last night I spent at Em's with the family - a good all-American ballpark bbq and it was yummilicious. But the thing that amazed me the most was Abby - just finishing kindergarten - who sat on my lap and willingly read an entire book to me. First, I've never seen her sit down that long, and second - her reading ability will set her up for success in school. She's growing up so much, it's amazing. It seems like she was just born yesterday...and then 9 months later hated everyone except her mom! Oh, those were some LONG months - I'm not sure when the turnaround was... we were just glad to have a sweet, loving niece back! What a cutie.
I am going to be a Great Aunt in Dec/Jan. Congrats to Sarah and Joel - I know how much of a surprise that was for them! They have settled into a nice home and are serving in their ward in the youth programs. Funny...they were just in those programs a few years ago! Where does time go? Joel's a police officer and Sarah is an asst. manager in a hoity-toity shop on the strip. Who'da thunk just a few years ago that they'd be so grown up? Now parents. This will be so fun to watch! I'm just glad to have a baby in the family....the NEXT generation begins....
As I've pondered the events and emotions of the past few months (year, really), I can't help but be grateful for how the Lord has blessed me and my family. There have been many strikes for each hit we've got (to keep with the baseball theme last night). But I can be grateful for those strikes. I have had people in place to catch me when I fell, to push me when I was slow to hear/do, and to strengthen me when I was weak. I don't feel like I can hit a homerun, but I feel like I'm on the bases now and I'm on a good team. That's progress. You can't hide in the dugout forever. Today was ward conference and Bishop's talk was about being in the ship of the gospel. We should be jumping on board, not treading water behind it. Food for thought....
There are 3 weeks left of the school year. How fast time has flown - 6 years have flown being a specialist. I have to be grateful for all the learning experiences and opportunities that have come my way because of that job. I have learned a lot in my 14 years in education and have been able to do a lot. From teaching at a few colleges/universities to traveling to China to learn Chinese on the district's dime, to training principals and other administrators, to working with some of the best kids in the world. It has opened doors for which I will be forever changed. I will miss that job next year, but realize that this is the best time to return to the classroom as EVERYONE will be on the same beginning page of these new standards to teach. I couldn't have asked for better colleagues to ease me back into the classroom and only hope that they will be accepting of me even though I "pushed" someone out - there's nothing I can do but look forward and keep praying for those I pushed - maybe a miracle that the governor will reinstate some positions at our schools. Three more weeks.


No comments:
Post a Comment