Wednesday, March 30, 2011

That time of year again

Along with the April winds come the annual "will I have this job next year?" ponderings.  Here we are again with the legistators cutting $400 million from education AGAIN - which very well could mean my job - and having the day-to-day laborers scramble to keep up with the demands placed on our shoulders anyway.  How can you expect greatness, or even grand progress, when you take away so much every year?  Part of me is empathetic to them - there is no money to give.  So, instead of raising the sales tax a little, let's give just  teachers a 10%+ pay cut, raise insurance premiums, take from our retirement, add up to 8 students per classroom, change to the national common core standards (huge transition), cut professional development to learn about the latter, cut all specialists in schools and cut back on assistant principals, take away more teacher-empowerment, and expect miracles in the No Child Left Behind assenine requirements.  Please tell me, in WHAT other business is this expected? 

What is the answer?  I don't know.  What I DO know is that I need to start seriously considering returning to be a classroom teacher-slave next year (after 7 years out as a specialist) and finding a new school to work at...again.  I hate the thought of leaving this great school I finally found myself in - but realistically, I may have to walk away.  Sad.  I honestly do NOT look forward to teaching in a classroom again during these years of insanity.  My current position is on the chopping block and maybe I need to look out for myself and get myself safe for the next few years.  I love what I do as a language specialist / teacher mentor/coach.   Maybe the fat lady has sung.  The curtains are drawn.  The eagle has landed. 

There is nothing I can do about it right now - so I may as well TRY not to perseverate on the subject.  April 11th is the first round of voluntary transfers...I'm not even sure there will BE openings, with the firing of 2500 teachers...  this is all a mess.  I am discouraged about the whole thing - but have to try and make it through the next month until real decisions are made.  I wrote my congressmen.  It won't matter.  It is what it is.  It will all work out in the end - maybe I just can't see the benefit right now.  I don't like being left in the dark!

That's my update.  On a happier note, I'm loving Boot Camp and other aerobic/strength training classes at the gym.  And I love my trainer, Jeff - he leads Boot Camp also.  All this exercise is paying off - I feel stronger, I can't fit into my pants anymore, and my endurance is improving.   Inca Trail is in 74 days from today!

1 comment:

Mikayla Skouson said...

Oh Robyn. This is rough! I love you and think the world of you. Just wanted you to know.