Wednesday, April 6, 2011

To budget or not to budget - that is the ?????

Last week after finding out that as of right now in time, I will be absorbed back into my current staff as a classroom teacher, I have to admit that Friday I was ready to walk.  My great boss held a sobering staff meeting where she had to announce that we were being cut SEVEN teachers!  Holy crap - that means that only 20 teachers will be teaching about 550+ students next year.  And I may be one of them!  Is anyone who is making all these decisions doing any kind of real math?  Anyway, I was devastated to find out that the 6th and 7th teacher to be cut are because of ME and the literacy specialist being absorbed back in.  The heartbreaking part of THAT is...they have been at my school for EIGHT years.  This is no joke.  How can I, who has been at this school a mere 7 months, bump someone fabulous out, who has been here for eight years?  The answer is...I won't.  If it comes down to saving them, then I will have to look elsewhere to teach in a classroom.  And that is heartbreaking again.  It is a lose-lose situation.  Friday was very hard to get through, as well as the night.  I couldn't wait for general conference this weekend - and it was good timing.

I enjoyed conference - ALL the messages.  By the time Saturday's were over, I was feeling much better - calmer - about the whole situation.  It doesn't matter where I end up or what I end up doing - I will get through it and will be fine.  Talk about some answers to prayers. 

On Monday, everyone was cheery again and dealing with everything in a positive way - that's just the kind of school I'm at - and don't want to leave!  And both of the 2 gals we are bumping both came up to me and said that I couldn't even think about looking elsewhere - that I needed to be there and that things would work out for me, and maybe them, to stay.  Talk about much-needed reassurance.  I am trying to have faith that my position will be reinstated - albeit split between at least 2 schools - but at least I may get to continue doing what I really enjoy - working with English Language Learners and teaching teachers how to best do it.

Sunday night we enjoyed celebrating dad's 72nd birthday.  Amy and Steve Rhodes came over with their 2 kiddos and it was fun to visit with them as well as the rest of the family (minus Steve...I almost thought he'd surprise us...)  Good food, fun cards to open, delicious dessert, and a happy dad.  That's all we can ask for and we feel very blessed to have gotten to celebrate his birthday!  After everyone left, I asked my dad for a priesthood blessing regarding this whole job fiasco and the mental trip it was having on me and those around me.  I appreciated his willingness and his inspiration.  I got some bonus blessings about my upcoming trip to Peru and all the training we're doing right now.  I love my dad -

.

2 comments:

Mikayla Skouson said...

It just seems so crazy to cut ELL. Actually the entire situation seems crazy. Don't they want these kids to be successful?

Amy said...

Everything does work out for the best - even if it sucks at first.

Sunday night was so much fun, try to wrangle us up and invite again. love you.