Sunday, March 6, 2011

Just keep walking...

I have a new "passion."  Walking.  Not meandering, not saundering, but real speed-walking for real calorie-burning, frustration-exercism exercise.  There have been days when I feel that the only way to rid myself of some frustrations is to get out and "pound the pavement."  The weather has been so awesome these past few weeks, save a day here or there, that I've been trying to get out every night possible.  I'm fortunate to have 2 friends on whom I can call to join me.  Sometimes it's Carolyn and me, and other times it's Loralie and me, and maybe someday we'll all 3 get together at the same time!  All the same - we enjoy pushing each other and visiting (when we can breathe) or listening to music with a fast beat.  We no longer do little 1-2 mile jaunts anymore.  A good walk is now 4-5 miles and we clock ourselves for speed.  We use Google to map out our trails and vary them all the time so we don't get bored.  It's been great.  According to my sticker chart (yes, I'm a fan of the sticker), in 2 weeks, I will have reached 150 miles since January 1st.  I can feel the extra room in my clothes, although I seem to hang on to the pounds for dear life!  I'm tired of carrying around my "food storage" with me all the time!  It's got to get shelved - and soon!  I've got big plans, baby - 100 days from now, to be exact, I'll be heading to Peru.  It has been extremely helpful having a big goal in mind.  Our school has a 'running club' that has over 100 students and 40+ parents/teachers in it - every Tuesday after school, we walk, run, jog the field - and get our cards punched everytime we do a lap.  Last Tuesday, I did 12 laps (3 miles) and had a good time racing the kids, encouraging the kids, etc.  It was really sorta fun!  I've also been enjoying Heidi's Power Sculpt and Amped Abs class at the gym on Saturday mornings and Power Sculpt on Tuesday nights.  I even tried beginner's YOGA at the stake center last Saturday at 7am and enjoyed it enough to add it to my weekly repetoire.   

There's no doubt the connection that exercising (using natural endorphines) is a natural medicine.  I feel great when I exercise and feel pretty crappy when I don't.  Can't bottle and sell it - you just have to do it.  I hope the weather stays nice for some time - I've really enjoyed getting out into the fresh air every day. 

YOU CANNOT CROSS A SEA BY MERELY STARING INTO THE WATER.  Tried that.  Got a headache and glasses.  Just had to get started by dog paddling, and finally the strokes are becoming easier.  Just wish the sea wasn't so dang big!  :o) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for walking without walking... One day, we'll be just that good!

Deanna said...

I'm so jelous... I'm so ready for the weather to turn and then stay nice so I can resume my outdoor walking... I'm very tired of the treadmill.