

I couldn't let this summer go by without remodeling SOMETHING! I decided to be bold and FINALLY turn my master bedroom into a real bedroom instead of plain, boring, 'catch-all' room. I've never had anything on the walls, nothing ever matched, and it was time to do something. So I made a 'barter' deal with a couple in the ward to help me paint in exchange for my old bed frame & nightstand. The Sanborns were great as well as Loralee who came and helped me when she was hiding out from her kids one day! It took me about 2 years to decide on the right color - about a year was deciding between a green shade or a yellow shade. After making the final shade decision and several trips to Lowes, I tried various samples of colors- none of them were what I was visualizing. Then, one day at Shan's, I was sitting in her living room which has 2 story walls painted an awesome yellow. It hit me - that was the very color I was trying for - it's the one I've LOVED in her house for years. So she was kind enough to get out her can and give me the info. I did 3 walls in that darker yellow and the rest in one shade lighter. It turned out GREAT. I absolutely love it!

The next step was having the bed I bought a month ago delivered. I've wanted a white bed against a colored wall for years now. This was my summer treat to myself for all the extra work I did last year. The guys who delivered it were sweating to death and one got brown fingerprints all over it (did I mention it was WHITE?) So when they left, I tried to clean all the fingerprints and some of them were greasy and I couldn't get it completely off! I was so mad and grossed out! So I called the saleslady who was very nice and she said they'd replace the whole thing! This is just ONE picture!


The project after that was to sand and paint my remaining nightstand white and raise it up 10 inches or so. I thought this would be a great project for my dad and I to work on together, so I invited him over to "assess" the project and give his wise tips. Of course it was about 110 degrees for days, even in the garage!!! We had a nice time working on it together and turned it from bland to grand!
The final, and most difficult, step is to do the final decorating. My downstairs is very much the "winter colors" (I've been watching way too much HGTV!) and the upstairs are more "summer" colors. So it's been interesting to change my viewpoint a little!
I cleaned out my entire upstairs and after purging, donated lots of stuff to D.I. and put some of the more valuable things on Facebook for sale. That proved to be VERY helpful. Then I had all my carpet cleaned and left town for the weekend so it could dry and so the paint fumes could escape my house without poisoning me again!
One more week, then it's off to my new work - my house has to be completely in order and laundry completely done before I can tackle putting a classroom together. My mind can't handle both being in chaos! Yep, I'm one of THOSE people.
1 comment:
Must be your November b-day girls that have such a hard time making decisions that can seem so "permanent". It took my mom almost a year to pick our tile and carpet for her house. It took me 3 hours at the carpet store to pick it out for mine and it would have been less if I didn't have the kids with me, lol. Go fig!
Post a Comment