Sunday, August 22, 2010

Trippin' & Friends

After 2 miserable days of 7 hour trainings from the department I work for in the district, my friend Carolyn, survived racing me to the airport as I "expressed my dissatisfaction of the 2 days" (to put it mildly!) and all the traffic around us.  To say that I was frustrated, tired, and irritable would put it mildly.  My only consolation was the thought of my weekend in Utah before I really start my new job tomorrow.                                                                                         Friday, I flew up to SLC for a marathon of visits with friends I haven't seen in ages.  Upon arrival, I rented a car and drove downtown to meet Paula and Lisa for dinner (mission comps).  I hadn't seen Lisa in 16 years since we were comps together in Guatemala and she hadn't changed a bit!  It was nice to visit about the mission, "after-effects" on our bodies, families, jobs, etc.  Later on that night, I stayed at Paula's in Bountiful.  Her 2 older kids were waiting up - so excited to see me for some reason (and Max (5) was sooo upset I was only staying ONE night.) How cute was that?  Laney (8) had saved some little notes I left her from my last visit thanking her for letting me sleep in her pretty bed, etc.  I was shocked that she had saved them with such care!  BUT the funniest thing was, upon going downstairs to her room, I found a cute clipboard with a whole sheet of paper and pencil waiting for another note/letter!  And that was the FIRST thing she searched for when I vacated the room in the morning for a shower.  After returning to the room, I once again found a blank page on the clipboard back up on the bed, waiting for another note!  That just made my day!  What a cutie.  I loved staying up late visiting with Paula while holding her 2 1/2 month old baby girl - anyone who knows me understands my LOVE for new babies!  I again held her for hours the next morning as we put floor puzzles together with Max and Laney while visiting more.  I love going to Paula's - and am glad she lets me come!  She's a great mom and great friend who always offers a great perspective on life. 

I made my way up to Logan Saturday afternoon and got to take Mandy, one of my former YW, out to lunch and to see her little home she's made with her new husband.  I so loved visiting with her and realize that she's a 24 year old adult now - not the 16 year old teenager anymore!  That means that I've aged, too!!!!

Continuing on north to Smithfield, I finally arrived at Deanna's - a friend I met in college almost 20 years ago and who holds a special place in my life.  We stayed up talking until 3am!  The poor girl - she had a church meeting early this morning as a ton of things to do today, but we just couldn't stop!  I feel really guilty because she has 4 kids to manage and I really hope they let her take a long nap this afternoon!!  I hadn't seen her in probably 7 years and getting together was just like old times.  I love her perspective on life and she has always been one of my biggest cheerleaders, as I hers.  Her friendship and hugs are medicinal and always have been.  Over the years, there were times where I just needed a shot of Deanna to get through some rough patches, so I'd drive all the way up to Logan just to visit for the night and drive all the way home the next day feeling better!  She's amazing all around and I am so grateful for our friendship and memories!

I dropped off the rental car at the airport and hopped in Suzi's car for the road trip home.  It worked out perfectly - she didn't have to drive home alone after all (she'd been up visiting her parents for the week).  Sometimes I enjoy being on the open road - a chance to think, reflect, meditate, laugh, sing outloud, and find the cleanest toilets along the road home (Chevron in Mesquite won 1st place for this trip...Chevron in Cedar took last place...ew!)

Upon arriving home Sunday evening, I was the recipient of a random act of kindness.  I had forgotten to switch my sheets from the washer to the dryer before I left on Friday (a terrible mistake for a Vegas summer), so I had texted my friend Shan to see if she'd do that for me (we have each other's keys).  Not only did she dry the sheets, but she made my bed for me - more perfectly than I had ever made it myself, mind you  - AND waiting for me were some flowers on the window seat.  I was so grateful, especially after a nice, long, sleep-deprived road trip and I was truly touched. 
I am blessed with good friends all around me.  I don't know how I ever got so lucky. 

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad you had a fun time. Sound like it just what you needed.

By the way...did I tell you how much I love your bed?

Unknown said...

Dear Robyn,
Thank you for writing me such a beautiful note. I will send you a picture of me. And by the way I think your bedroom is cute! I can't wait to see you again. Love, Laney

We are so glad you came to visit us. Can't wait to see you again. I still think Lis and I need to do a girls trip down there. Love ya! Paula