Chocolate Malted Crunch, oh how I love thee (and so does my dad and little sister), Let me count the ways....Never forgetting thee, oh delicious Mint Choco Chip, the love my my older sister's taste buds. Cookies & Cream - you are the creamiest ever!
Cylindrical 15 cent scoops from the old Thrifty stores...year round. Oh how I've carried thee on my hips for almost 30 years!
All these cartons, and I haven't opened any of them. I'm trying to be good again.....
THE STORY: In planning a day trip to Southern California to IKEA, I called the nearest open Rite Aid (they've all closed in Vegas, adding to the heartache) Barstow was the nearest and I called to see if they indeed carried it - because those in Oregon do NOT (the gall of them). On the way back from IKEA and Crate & Barrell, we anticipated the last shopping on our list...BARSTOW. Carolyn and I took in 2 empty coolers with us and we filled them as full as we could (28 cartons) and checked out. People laughed with us, others scoffed at our gluttany. I didn't care. I had people to please - bringing a simple joy to those who completely understand and savor the experience of eating Thrifty Ice Cream. On Facebook, it's been funny to see the responses - the delicate memories shared of those who grew up here. Others respond quizzingly, feeling out of the loop. I cannot help them. They just cannot and will not ever understand.
So we brought it all home, stacked my garage freezer pretty full, and began the deliveries. The overwhelming joy in my sisters' eyes - spoons out ready, drool sliding, eyes wide... aaahhhh the joy! My dad's excitement coming over to get his anticipated treat. I even had 2 teachers who I haven't seen in years come over and buy a few from me...Facebook is an amazing tool to keep in touch with people! We had a nice visit - it's been 5 years!
Funny how a little sugary treat can bring people together. We plan on making another ice cream run and selling it out of the freezer - we'll take orders...and wait for it to go on sale this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So thank you, Thrifty Ice Cream, for bringing others joy and happiness in each delicious spoonful! (as for me, I'm passing...back on the wagon!)
4 comments:
Yum! Yum! Yes! Thank you, Robyn, for sharing the joy!
You are so funny! Since I'm off of facebook I'll share my "Thrifty" memory. Myrna and Sonya used to take us there after mutual - such a treat!! Mint&Chip and Rainbow sherbet... but not together, learned that the hard way.
When I was 16, I scooped ice cream at our local Thrifty. It was something like 35 cents a scoop and the line would seriously go all the way out the door :)
Robin, you can buy 5 gallon buckets of Thrifty ice cream at the Costco Business center on MLK. I don't know if they have all flavors but they do have Chocolate Malted Crunch and Rainbow Sherbert. I think my B-I-L said it was around $13 for the bucket.
Post a Comment