Thursday, June 10, 2010

Good Read




I finally just finished reading a birthday gift (from November!) "THE HELP" and really enjoyed it.  It seems to be the hot book for book clubs these days, come to find out.   It follows the courageous experience of 3 ladies in the south during the civil rights movement, specifically the black maid to white lady boss relationship - the fear, the love, the dependence, the co-dependence, the rights/laws, and the culture of the day.  I enjoy reading about issues like this in context of a story because it opens your eyes to why people do/feel the way they do sometimes.  I've been attending some Cross-Cultural conferences recently where I've been exposed to issues that frankly, I have not given a second thought to in my little white, middle-class, Christian, English speaking mind.   It's good for us to open our minds and see things from the perspective of others.  I'm thankful I have a multi-cultural basket of friends with whom I can speak about such topics as this and expand my own perspective.  (I also enjoyed "Cane River" - see previous blog last year)

Oh yeah, and did I mention...I LOVE SUMMER !!!!!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I enjoyed that book too. Now I'm reading "the forgotten garden" by Kate Morton. I'm only about half way through it...but I am LOVING IT. She has another book called "The house at riverton" that I will definetely be getting next. and a new one coming out in november.

April M. said...

I loved The Help - and checking in to see what you are up to ;)