Thursday, October 1, 2009

ALMOST HOME

While traveling through the beautiful mountains last week, I was introduced to an awesome song called "ALMOST HOME" by Mary Chapin Carpenter. It should be playing for you right now...listen up. I think we blasted it 10 times or more during those 3 days.


This has been a very hard week at work, but I'm amazed at how starting it out so well (a 3 day weekend relaxing in the mountains) gave me the clarity of thought I needed to make it through all the stress, deadlines, defeated-feeling staff, "interesting" parental issues at work, and about a mile of red-tape this week alone. The difference between today and last Thursday is that I about lost my mind last week - I'd reached my maximum ability to process everything and it was a good thing I was escaping for the weekend. I truely believe that people need a chance to rejuvenate themselves, to rest from the cares of the world, and to experience nature - deer, chipmunks, trees, blue sky, and amazing scenery. It puts things/life back into perspective. Work is a job - a powerful one at that - affecting the lives of children is no laughing matter - but nonetheless, it's a job. Happiness depends on how you fill your time and how you make yourself feel. And I can already see/acknowledge the blessings I'm receiving from teaching seminary each morning at the 'colon of dawn.' (that's even earlier than the 'butt-crack of dawn.') hahaha


And congrats to Mikayla Skouson - SPAIN won't know what hit 'em!


AND FINALLY.....I found out today that I am officially NOT pre-diabetic anymore! I have overcome this obstacle over the past 9 months! What a relief! Thanks to the support of friends and family!

3 comments:

Danalin said...

CONGRATS on improving your health situation so dramatically in such a short period of time! Also, you do such an important job and are making such a difference in so many lives at seminary AND school. What a woman! TGIF, eh?

Unknown said...

That's awsome Rob! I bet that is a huge relief. I'm glad you had such an awsome weekend too. We all need a breather every how and then

Mikayla Skouson said...

Yeah!!