

"The Dowery Bride" was about a young woman in India who escaped her near-fatal living situation because her father couldn't pay the dowery promised within a year. The dowery has been illegal in India since the 60s, but is still practiced under the table. If doweries aren't paid, one custom is the husband and his mother try and kill the wife in order to set the husband up for a new dowery bride. Very interesting and fairly easy read.
The other book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" was a real page-turner. It takes place in Afganistan and follows the stories of 2 girls/women through their arranged marriages, the abuse and their will to survive, and the paths that crossed and changed lives for forever. It was a tender story, especially the last third.
These both were real eye-openers - it's good for us to read about the plights of women around the world and realize how fortunate we are in so many ways. If you read these, I'd love to hear back from you.
3 comments:
ROBYN!!
I have a blog. Just thought I should let you know. Before you get mad at mee.! Ha Ha! How is life. I love your blog. So much funness! See you in a week!
I'll have to check out those books.
AND...
You are TAGGED! Come on by my blog (http://merriemelody.blogspot.com/)and see the "rules" of the game.
Okay, woman, although I sincerely appreciate the fact that your taste in literature is oh so 'above the rest of us', the mere fact that TWILIGHT has not made it into your hands yet has me completely perplexed and appalled!
Girlfriend, go get the book. It's written by a mormon for goodness' sakes and it is absolutely awe inspiring. Our whole staff is passing around the numerous copies of the 4 books I've brought in. I saw the movie six times and Hector three! You just have to give in and do it. You won't be sorry, and I KNOW you'll finish it in a day. Hold on...this singer sounds like Manuel Mijares. Who is it??? Hmmmnnnn...so anyway, if I need to school mail you Twilight, let me know!!! :) Love ya! Telu
P.S. Save Harry Potter for the movies. If it's any consolation, Edward from Twilight was Cedric Diggory in one of the Potter movies. :)
Post a Comment