Saturday, November 29, 2008

Another Good Book

I just finished another book that sucked me in this weekend - CANE RIVER by Lalita Tademy. It was the story of 4 generations of astonishing women battling injustice to unite their families on a Creole plantation in Louisiana. They are women whose lives begin in slavery, who weather the Civil War, and who grapple at the contradictions of emancipation through the turbulent early years of the 20th century. There is ELIZABETH, who bears both a proud legacy and the yoke of bondange...her youngest daughter SUZETTE, who is the first to discover the promise - heartbreak - of freedom...and her strong-willed daughter, PHILOMENE, who uses a determination born of tragedy to reunite her family and gain unheardof economic independence...and EMILY, her spirited daughter, who fights to secure her children's just due and preserve their dignity and future.

It was a fairly easy read - all 475 pages - and makes you stop and think about the practicalities of the history we've come to know. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes to read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed Dad got recognition in the next entry and I was wondering..."Mom recommended Cane River" or SOMETHING SOMEWHERE. I was the one who gave you birth in a run down Turkish hotel while under Marshal Law, 500 miles away from anyone I knew and on the other side of the world from home!
Whew, that feels better. Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back on your blog. I get so busy that I can hardly get through my emails. This was really fun to read the entire thing. You are amazing and so creative! I loved it! Maybe someday, you can teach me how to blog. I just don't think I'd have much to share.