Sunday, August 21, 2011

It's only the beginning of crazy

Summer is virtually over and the beginning of a crazy year is speeding at me like a bullet.  But, I'm not panicking yet..... and am thankful that the anxiety hasn't set in for realz...yet!

I stole this off Amy's blog...
she's going to kill me!
This has been a pretty darn good week - I'm feeling quite blessed all around.  We enjoyed having Amy and Steve over for dinner at my parents' last Sunday night - it's always fun when they (and their 2 redheads) are around.  Amy and I go way back and no matter how much time goes between our visits, it's always comfortable and uplifting to visit with her.  In fact, we met for dinner late one night this week and visited for 3-4 hours - late into the night.  I enjoy her viewpoints on life, death, teaching, callings, hobbies, and optimism.  She's very good for me.  And I'm so proud of her new photography life - she's become quite a good photographer - of course, she's good at everything she tries!

I also went to lunch one day with Telu, Carmen, Norma, and Bonnie - I haven't seen them in ages it seems.  We did our teaching program and master's degree together.  Bonnie was our program facilitator, who I replaced 10 years ago, and is still one of my greatest mentors.  Telu and I actually graduated together from UNLV in the Spanish department and entered the program together.  It was fun to catch up with them and to share our opinions, viewpoints, and fears about all the upcoming changes in our jobs.  Carmen and I are being forced back into classroom positions after MANY years out as language specialists.  It's time, though, I have to admit, and with all the curriculum and district changes, this is the perfect time to try and assimilate back into teaching...Everyone will be some kind of crazy!


Saturday I enjoyed visiting with my Priest friends at Carina's bridal shower - MAN has she got lots of friends and family!  We sat for hours visiting and catching up and enjoying meeting her family.  Carina is one of those good people - someone who always lifts you up and seems to send a card or email at just the right time.  I miss working with them all.

I went to see the movie THE HELP...twice in 3 days, once with Robyn B and then with Shan.  I really enjoyed the book, both reading AND listening to it on my iPod.  But they did such a great job with the movie that I hope it wins awards and gets the notoriety it deserves.  I enjoyed the bravery of these women and was irritated at the power and influence of one stuckup, prejudiced, naive woman can have on a community.  Stand up for what's right, even when it's not popular.  One person can change the world.  One of my favorite quotes is "Be the change you wish to see in the world."  This movie depicted that quite well.

Most of my week was taken up in my new classroom - first just sitting in the bare room with everything stacked up in the corner...sitting for a few hours trying to "feel" the room.  Feeling nothing that first day, I gave up and went home and ignored the fact that I was already about a week behind!  So the next day I brought back Loralie and Kari...after making them go to the gym with me...and they got the desks arranged and put together some shelves for me.  Most of all, they helped me work through some questions and considerations and gave me encouragement.  I spend most of that day and Wednesday making progress unpacking, organizing, moving, reorganizing, etc.  Thursday morning I drove out to the only teacher store in town now...20+miles away...with 2 of my neighbor teachers, Michelle V and Leah.  I was grateful they invited me to go with them.  Originally we weren't going to use a basket, but ended up sharing one that was piled high between the 3 of us.  It was nice to have them there for me to ask questions about what to get, how to decorate, etc.  I worked in the room all day, did some more errands, and ended up driving back out to that store that night for a few more things.  So much for NOT spending money this year!  Oh well.  Friday, Naomi came and helped me reorganize my 30 baskets of books into genres and helped me put up some butcherpaper and border.  I appreciated her insights and encouragement, too.  I spent the rest of Friday getting LOTS of little things done and it felt good to walk away late that afternoon for the busy weekend.

Friday night we had a Relief Society "Fantastic Friday" activity and it was pretty fun, I have to admit.  It was simple, but had some good messages and chances for people to visit and get to know each other better.  I admit that I liked it...and that's rare!!!!!

This was a busy week, with more than this to record, but I'm too tired.

One thing I'm going to miss a lot is the freedom of working out at the gym in the mornings...like 8 or 9am.  I've enjoyed the new classes and am going to miss them as I head back to either an early morning workout schedule or after school/evening.  I like the way I feel after I work out and know that I have to keep going at it.  I have much work to do, but am happy to say that I have developed some muscles!  My calves are getting defined and my hamstrings/thighs are getting rock solid.  Now, if I could only figure out how to lose the fat there and THEN define it, that would be great!  Just keep going... I've now got Loralie, Allison, and now Kari as gym-rat friends!  No chance of failing!

I realized this week how truely blessed I am to have the resources around me in the way of friends and family to uplift me, encourage me, give me butt-kickings, help me process my crazy mind, compliment me and make me just say 'thank you', let me have my own opinions and like me anyway, and to give me opportunities for me to do the same for them.  I'm grateful for that kind of support system and hope that I remember that as my life gets crazy starting way too soon.

Quote of the week:  Oh be wise...what can I say more?" (Jacob 6:12)

1 comment:

Amy said...

It's a good thing I love you!! I don't care what you steal off my blog.

I had a great time at dinner, too. Can't wait to do it again.