Sunday, October 24, 2010

Time Out for Chicks

This weekend I had the opportunity to attend "Time Out for Women" with my sister and sister-in-law, Helen.  Someone had a ticket to sell and I decided to take it - and am so glad I did.  Friday night we heard from Ardeth Kapp and John Bytheway - both were inspiring and comical, respectively, and had great messages to share.  We also heard from this singer (I think his name is Dallyn Vale Baynes or something like that).  He's played Phantom and a part in the touring company of Les Mis.  His voice reminded me of Josh Groban's and I really enjoyed his music a lot.  At a break, I got to meet him - I told him "You had me at Les Mis." (My all-time fav show!) 
Dallyn/Dallin somebody...great singer - played the Phantom!
I've GOT to find where I wrote his name down and look up his
music on iTunes
Saturday we heard from a Mom/Daughter duo about raising kids and staying sane.  They were pretty good.  Then we got to hear from Brad Wilcox - he gave pretty much the same talk he did at the single's conference here in February - but I liked hearing it again.  I've been reading his book on the Continuous Atonement.  In between the speakers was a trio called Mercy River.  They talked and sang and talked and sang - pretty darn good, if you ask me.  After lunch we had a speaker who was not as entertaining, nor was her subject, and I had a hard time staying awake... but her message was good about fighting pornography and safeguarding your homes from it.  But the crem-de-la-crem of speakers came last - a blind lady named Kris Belcher.  She had the entire theater in laughing hysterics telling stories she's experienced over the last 7 years since she lost her sight.  Things like forgetting her prosthetic eyeball when getting on a flight.  Her insights and faith were quite inspiring and motivating as told through the funny stories.  She was GREAT to end on.


Friends from Institute days - older, wiser, and still got it!
Carena, Kim, Me, and Missy

One of the highlights was running into old friends.  Amber and Ashley, Diane and Eryn, and many more.  I was standing in line for the restroom when a nice-looking Asian lady turned around - it was Kim - I hadn't seen her in 15 years!  Then on Saturday, I slipped out for the same reason and ran into Sadie and Michelle H.  Upon returning into the theater, Missy Mills jumps up and pushes me back out to visit - we talk every year, but I hadn't seen her in several.  We had a great time catching up and running into even more peeps from the past.  I saw probably 4-6 more people from my old Institute days, a few from my ward growing up, several from my current ward and stake, and others.  It was fun catching up and visiting and seeing how people's lives turned out.   The last time we all stood together, there was no way of knowing what our lives would be like 15 years later. 
Good friends - Sadie and Missy
 So, Time Out for Chicks was pretty good.  I don't have my notes right here to add some insights I gained, but maybe I'll do that later this week.  The messages all centered around HOPE and I enjoyed each of them.


MISC PICS
I dumped my camera tonight and found my staff development day photo-opps.

Staff Development Day
"Udderly" "Amoozing" Cow Theme


Co-presenters
Jan, Gina, Me, and Brittany

1 comment:

Danalin said...

I LoVe Time Out for Women! Kris Belcher was at ours in Seattle last year and she was AWESOME. I love her. I'm hoping to go again next year...love you lady!