Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Reads

I just finished a good, clean book, Look Again, by Lisa Scottoline.  It was a fast read yesterday as I was trying to beat the heat (114 degrees) by staying inside with all blinds closed!  It's about a single lady - a newspaper reporter - who ends up legally adopting a toddler she sees in the hospital during some interviews.  Two years later she gets one of those white cards in the mail with a picture of a little boy - Have You Seen Him? - and she starts to investigate.  It's interesting the emotional rollercoaster she rides as she is torn to make the best decision - then there's surprise action to the story.  I won't ruin it for you, but I'd recommend it as a good read!  I couldn't put it down about halfway through to the end.

I also finished reading the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown earlier this week.  That one took a little longer to delve into and follow all the technical terminology, but I liked the storyline overall.  This one takes place with the mysteries behind the founding fathers in Washington D.C. and the symbology there.  I've enjoyed his books with all the twists and turns and the intellectual challenge to it.  His books are all very similar in nature, but I find them engaging and page turning once you get into them. 

Before that, I enjoyed the book Between Sisters by Kristin Hannah.  This is the second book by her that I've enjoyed.  It's about 2 sisters who were separated in their early youth and grew into different paths - one a highly successful lawyer but "wayward" and the other running a family camping resort with her father and daughter.  Their paths intertwine again - very rockily - and things happen that bring them together as well as provide some real direction for the lawyer sister.  It was very moving and I quite enjoyed it (and only had to skip a few paragraphs!)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for the list. I need some new books.

I read Water For Elephants these last two days. It was great. There were a few paragraphs I SHOULD have skipped. Don't know how to do that yet.

Have you read The Hunger Games? Everyone kept telling me how good it was, but I thought it sounded stupid. There are 2 out now and the 3rd comes out next month. I finally gave in because it was 5 bucks at Costco. It was very exciting and a fast, easy read. It was one of those books where the plot sounded so dumb - kind of like twilight, but it ended up being a great story.