Sunday, April 11, 2010

Stepping out into the darkness...

After 7 years at the same school, I have made the decision that it's my time to move on.  This decision didn't come lightly and leaving so many friends and kids and their familes I've made relationships with will be extremely difficult.  But I was trained in my education program that when you can do your job in your sleep and/or do not feel challenged or like you're growing anymore, then it's time for a change or time to get out of education completely.   I have decided to make a change.  It's interesting how all the stars aligned for this.....

1.  About 2 months ago, my friend Vicki (who has my same position at Bunker ES) told me she is retiring and that I should consider replacing her.  Coincidence? I think not.   You see, I about 9 years ago, I worked at Bunker and left for a "promotion" type job in the district.  So the wheels were in motion in the back of my mind.  Hers would be one of only 2 open for me to get this year, when there would normally be at least 12 available.  It would be scary to go back - they are a highly collaborative school who knows their "stuff."  I THINK I know stuff, but who knows next to people who really do!  It would be a scary challenge!

2.  I'd been mulling it over since then and really started to consider if I truely was happy and content with where I am.  I have been overly spoiled, am very comfortable, and have been afforded innumerable opportunites for learning administrative things.  But I feel like I've done all I can do to promote positive change.  I decided that I would try and make my decision in Hawaii where I was truely relaxed and happy.  I had been fretting over the impending zipline adventure and the night before on the beautiful beach at sunset, I had prayed hard.  In fact, I kind of made a deal that if I could conquer the zipline fears, then I could conquer the "leaving Priest" fears I have.  If you read the previous post about the zipline, you'll remember that I was very blessed - I had NO fear whatsoever - not even a heartbeat of panic.  In fact, it was the most exhilerating thing I've probably ever done.  Coincidence? I think not.   I knew after the last zipline, that I was going to call for an interview and step out into the dark. 


 
"When you come to the edge of all the light you have known (my current location) and are about to step out into the darkness (new job, new experiences, discomfort, self-doubt, etc.), FAITH is knowing one of two things will happen...There will be something to stand on or you will be taught how to fly."  I was taught to fly (literally) on the zipline and have confidence in my new adventure ahead of me.

3.  My good friend spoke with her good friend the coordinator for that region...who will be my new other "boss" in the district.  Many details of that were "stars aligning" and no coincidence.  The timing was amazing and it was interesting to me that she remembered who I was and had an opinion about me just from watching me from afar at district things we've been at together.  She made a recommendation to the principal, who happened to be asking that very day.   Coincidence?  I think not.

4.  The morning of my interview, one of my seminary students told me his mom was down the hall subbing.  I went down to visit with her and it came out that I was interviewing that day.  When she found out where, she simply stated, "My best (or close) friend is the principal.  Do you want me to call her?"  Um, yes????  Coincidence? I think not.

5.  The interview was an amazing experience in and of itself and I felt very calm - no nerves - like being up on the zipline platform.  I interviewed them as much as they did me.  It is always so uncomfortable talking about myself (no comments, please!!!!!), especially when it's for the purpose of "selling" them.  As I worked on putting my resume and evaluations, letters of commendation, etc together in preparation, I sat back amazed at how much I have done and learned in my career.  I just feel like I'm just me - I'm not sure who this person on paper is!!!  From what I heard and saw there, it was much of what I, and a good group of teachers, have been trying to get going at my current school for the past 5 years with little success.  They are in to learning new things and collaboration; the principal is an instructional leader and knows her stuff instructionally; I would be able to have the freedom to set up my own program based on the needs of the students and teachers.   It would be a good fit.

6.  Because I felt that I would accept it if they offered it to me, the next morning, before I had to leave for the day to a department training, I had the "talk" with my current principal who was cordial, showed understanding, and supported me in my change.  I expressed my gratitude for ALL the learning opportunities she provided me and told her that I would work my hardest with all the projects on my plate to set up this school for next year as if I weren't going anywhere.  I know it was a blow to her, after a week of district blows, but I had to talk to her about it.  I was glad to be gone from the building that day so I couldn't "jinx" my chances or talk to too many people. 

7.  Finally, upon setting up my new room at the university for a new class I'm teaching, the phone rang and I was officially offered the position at Bunker.  I sign the transfer papers on Monday morning.  I believe in coincidences, but not this many, and others - this really feels like what I am supposed to do and it couldn't have been set up more clearly for me to see.  And so I head out on my own, stepping into the darkness with the faith that one of two things will happen - that there will be something for me to stand on or that I will again be taught how to fly!

To be continued....... 
.

6 comments:

Megan said...

SO proud of you Robyn! You will be missed SO MUCH but I know we will keep in touch :o)

Amy said...

You had to do what was best for YOU! We all understand, love you and will miss you more than you know! We will just have to have more "get-togethers" so that we can see you:)

Anonymous said...

Robyn, That is an amazing train of events! Wow! No room for doubt there at all!
I know what you mean about the person on the paper. I just finished my portfolio and as I review it I wonder who that person is. I'm just me, but on paper I am amazing!

Stewart said...

Wow!! I just read!! Too late to call you because seminary. Congrats. We love you! Skousons

Danalin said...

Good luck! That sounds exciting, Robyn. You HAVE accomplished so much in your life already and are a wonderful example for so many of us. I hope that looking at you on paper made you realize that you totally rock! Can't wait to hear about your new adventures...

Deanna said...

I have sooooo loved hearing your testimony through your blog so much lately. You are truly an amazing person and example to so many. Maybe more of us need to 'put ourselves on paper' then maybe we would get a glimpse of how our heavenly father sees us.
And as for coincidences...I think we will be surprised when we get to the other side to see how often those little 'coincidences' were MUCH MUCH more.