Sunday, April 18, 2010

She'll be comin' round the mountain...

This was our annual Science Camp week up at Mt. Charleston.  We take 1/2 our 5th grade classes up Mon-Wed and then the other 1/2 comes up Wed-Fri to do science experiments all day long.  The kids and several teachers/parents sleep up there in the cabins, but I choose to drive up and back each day.           I've enjoyed being the "cook" for a few years - heading up at 6am to cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner for about 80, then making the drive back down before dark.      As each year has progressed, the 'adult' meals have evolved into something grand.  You see, who wants to eat the same menu twice in one week?             So this year, I brought out all my guns (4 recipes I know how to cook...yep, that's it...4) and spoiled the adults as much as possible.  We had salsa chicken burritos, green chili rice with terriyaki chicken, taco soup, creamy tacos salad, made some white chocolate popcorn up there as well.  If the adults are happy, the kids fare better!                It was fun hanging out with people I enjoy - we laughed, played great practical jokes on our assistant principal (it was her first time up there - her car was the target), and I spent hours set up in a make-shift office working on our school's new Title 1 plan - how to spend close to $200,000.  We also decorated a cake to look like a "moose" for the principal who was certain she almost hit one at night on the way home (there are NO moose in So. NV)!!!!            The kids were great, the food was good, the entertainment was fun, the weather was perfect, the drives were good times for contemplation.  This was my last year doing science camp and it was a good one.     Fun times.

No comments: