Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ode to Oatmeal

Oatmeal. What a strange food. I have been trying to eat better, exercise more, etc (it's January...of course) and the one food I'm trying to learn to like this year is OATMEAL. It's just gross. The texture, the smell, the thought of it. Add water - yuck. Add milk...yuck. Maple flavor, cinnamon flavor, extra fiber, no sugar...it just doesn't matter. It's just yucky. Until last week. I'm not sure what happened - I was not struck by lightening, nor was hit in the head with a bat. One morning, I just decided that it wasn't that bad - the Walmart Sugar Free maple and brown sugar - if I add more water than it says so it's kind of soupy versus gloppy, it's not so bad after all. Oatmeal. Attention deprived for 37 years. Here's to you, little oats.

Side note:
Age 33 - began liking yogurt
Age 34 - began eating meat at a restaurant
Age 35 - began liking turkey bacon over the real stuff
Age 36 - beginning to cease emulsiphying my salsa
Age 37 - OATMEAL

7 comments:

Melody said...

My mom made me eat oatmeal every morning of my childhood. Usually it was cold, because I'd poke along in the mornings instead of being quick enough to catch it while it was hot. She sprinkled sugar over the top...it would crust when it was cold. Have I made *your* oatmeal sound more appetizing?? ;-)

Kricket said...

Explain "beginning to cease emulsiphying my salsa", please.

Danielle said...

Mix Craisins in with Maple and Brown sugar oatmeal! DELISH!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I never would have pegged you for an oatmeal hater. I love oatmeal! Don't worry, I won't let this come between us.

David and Vicki Wardell Family said...

Oatmeal is the best and especially if you have "old fashioned" instead of the sticky glue quick instant oats. Top with brown sugar and cream yum, yum, yum!!

Unknown said...

Isn't oatmeal mush?

Deanna said...

Robyn, careful... Your starting to sound like a real grown-up. I force myself to eat oatmeal. Hve you tried all-bran yogurt bites? tons of fiber and delicous! Definetly in the nutricious category and much better than oatmeal.