Well, well, well. Gotta say that it's true - you start to fall apart at 40! Man-o-man. During Christmas break I had a cyst growing on top of my foot. It didn't hurt, until it got so big that my tennis shoes bugged it while working out. SOOO, I went to my doc and she drained the sucka dry...it was full of the thickest gell she'd ever seen and said that I'd probably have to see an Orthopedic guy to have it surgically removed. So, after about 3 weeks, I start having some strange pain on my foot in that area - a new pea-sized cyst has grown back, but mostly INSIDE - now pressing on a nerve (in my own medical opinion) because I was feeling shooting pain to my toes as well as up my leg - as high as my thigh. I couldn't sleep for about 4 nights because of the pain/discomfort. Ibuprophin wouldn't touch it. I knew I was in trouble. So, I called and got into see an Orthopod. I was x-rayed (both feet/ankles) and had a few revelations:
1. Yes, there is a cyst - that needs an MRI before proceeding.
2. Did you know you have a stress fracture in that same foot? That could be causing much of the pain and swelling and "paralysis" of my toes. So you need to wear a BOOT for the next few weeks and you cannot work out or hike. (really????)
3. Oh yeah, you've got arthritis in your feet and in both ankles.
I was so bummed, and tired, that I went to Sarah and Joel's for the afternoon and held Jackson for about 3 hours! That made me feel much better (of course, elevating my foot...in the boot...helped, too!)
Monday I went for the MRI - yessiree I saw the cyst monster myself! Now I just have to wait until next Monday for my follow-up and see where we go from here. I told them that I have to be back on the hiking trails for sure by the end of February, so we'd better get this thing rolling. I've got about 10 hikes planned before the big 3-day 20-mile 4th year hike at the end of June...and I wouldn't mind dropping a few more pounds before then! Just have to get over this ONE little stumbling block....
The "best" part of all this timing is...we just started a Biggest Loser contest at work, with about 20 staff members. We're on 2 teams (I'm black team) and we weigh in each Friday. Our percentage lost is posted by name in the lounge. I lost only 2.2 pounds, but thought that was great considering I did NO cardio that week - only practically starved myself (not really). This week has been worse and I almost want to be absent on Friday! Aarrgghh! But I think this contest will be fun - very motivational and supportive. It's nice to work with fun people.



1 comment:
Holy cow-- hope all gets better. Yes, you are right... it's an uphill battle after 40- dang!
Post a Comment