Friday, November 25, 2011

November Highlights

Work Update:
Fall hit my street today
November is almost over and that means only 3 more weeks until Christmas break.  It's been a long, personally difficult trimester teaching every day in a classroom again.  The planning/prep time is horrific (sometimes 3-7 hours a day after work) and report cards and all those comments are lingering this week.  I have been truely blessed to be able to make it this far with the mental anguish I put myself through.  I am not positive by nature, and it's exhausting pretending to be so every day.  My kids are getting more used to me, and visa-versa and some days after they leave, I think..."Boy I hope I didn't damage any of them today!"  I'm hoping they are learning INSPITE of their cranky, ill-equipped teacher.  My school is great, my boss is one of a kind great, and my grade level is always there to offer an idea or resource.  It does, however, feel very isolating.  In my Inca Trail Hike metaphor for this year, I'm just about hitting the top of Dead Woman's Pass, I think!  I was really struggling on Monday and posted something on FB about it...the next day, a bouquet of flowers was delivered...from Amber.  How nice was that???

House Update:

Well, it's 95% done.  The work is done - I just have to finish unpacking a few things and hang things back up on the walls again.  I really like it, especially the kitchen and fireplace.  Yesterday, for Thanksgiving, I actaully cooked in the new kitchen for the first time!  Thankfully, the Saturday before, Kristi came over and helped me unpack/wash the dishes and things that go back into the cupboards.  I had caught a cold virus and had NO energy to do it, or desire for that matter, so she came over and helped me get my life back in order.  I ended up spending the day cleaning out the garage (TONS of white powder dust EVERYWHERE) because every time we came in and out, we just brought more white powder onto the dark floors.  It took FOREVER to wash the floors by HAND (Jessica P came and helped that morning with the floors!) and I was tired of all the dust.  I think I inhaled quite a bit of dust into my already sick lungs, so I ended up in bed the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday.  I had even stayed home from work the Friday prior.  Even now, a week later, I'm still not up to par.  But anyway, I love the way the house turned out!

Time Out For Women

Sadie - one of my BFFs for 30 years
Emily had straightened my hair!

Krystal C-G - my trainer in Guate!
Two weekends ago, my mom and sisters and I went to St. George for the weekend for Time Out for Women.  We had a great time walking around Tai Pan, Krumpets, and of course, Kohls, Down East, and Roberts.  We enjoyed the music and speakers on Friday night and again others on Saturday.  Hilary Weeks was probably my favorite.  It was a nice weekend away NOT thinking about work.  I ran into Amber, Sadie, and my mission companion - Krystal - my first in Guatemala.  That was a surprise! 

Thanksgiving

My padres, taken a year ago.

Yesterday, after working on a new dessert (Magic Bars - recipe on the evaporated milk can) and a new spicy green beans dish, IN MY NEW KITCHEN, I headed over to mom and dad's for Thanksgiving.  Duncans were in Utah, so it was just us and the Wisers.  It was good to have Alli home from college.  It was even better to have my dad at the head of the table again.  As we went around the table and shared what we were grateful for, dad caught the attention of all by getting extremely emotional and personal about his gratitude for my mom in her new role as care-giver and for all of us.  We all couldn't help crying.  It was only the second time in my life that I've seen my dad cry.  The first was at his father's funeral.  It was humbling to say the least.  Family is everything.  We are fortunate that dad is still with us - and hope to have him at the head of next year's table! 

The Gym Chronicles
Since my life has been shaken up and turned upside down with my house torn apart, living between my house and Shan's for a while, school kicking my butt, my own self-torture about not being very good at teaching or even multi-tasking anymore....since all that has taken over, I have NOT been to the gym in about 5 weeks.  I have been eating horribly and not working out and it definitely has taken it's toll on me physically and emotionally.  Today, this morning, even though I'm not feeling 100% yet, I went to Body Pump (mainly because my favorite instructor from the summer was leading it) and I made it through, using lower weights, but made it.  It felt great.  It felt great to be able to blend a protein shake again in my Magic Bullet.  I realize how much working out and pumping iron :o)  increases my ability to cope and my self-esteem and my energy.  I've got to get back on track this month (not waiting until January like most people - I always start after Thanksgiving when it gets hard!).  I have another big hike this June - leading the 3-day full-backpacking 20 mile hike in Pine Valley - as the 4th year hike specialist for our stake.  I think the Lord knows I need GOALS to work towards!  Fine with me!

I have a lot to be grateful for - I feel quite spoiled compared to many others I know.

No comments: