Saturday, September 10, 2011

Week 2...4 very long days


Fake it until you Make it...my motto this year!
 Well, I pretty much survived week 2, but still not feeling the joy with this whole teaching in the classroom again bit.  I got a new BOY this week, so I'm up to 16 boys and 6 very quiet girls (I guess I can be thankful for that!)  They are coming along with the procedures, but I have some that just talk out or have something to say about EVERYTHING that they constantly interrupt me.  I have zero tolerance for that and they are quickly learning.  My management style is NOT to yell - I just stare off in silence until the get the "hint" or say things like, "I wish I could get through this so you all could get started on..." 

I had a realization last night - either it's because I'm getting older or because I still have this incessant pounding in my ear (I hear an ultrasound in my ear CONSTANTLY), but the chatter in the classroom drives me insane...only at the times when they aren't supposed to be talking.  I do lots of partner/group work, and that chatter is fine.  It's the social chatter during silent reading time or writing that just rides my nerves.  They have improved in knowing what and when to do, and I don't want to just sound sour, but I just don't enjoy it...if I were to be honest.  I'll do it, because I have to, and I hope to one day enjoy it.  I have great happy moments and they make me proud many times, but...  I have a few little boys who are "naughty" according to their 2nd grade teachers, so I've put a lot of effort into doing lots of positive reinforcement and telling them I'm proud of this or that and that I'm so glad I chose them to be in my class.  That has really taken them for a loop - I don't think they heard much of that, if any, last year - and I understand the frustrations from their teachers.  I'm trying to nip it in the bud and it's working so far.  They are so dang needy still - as it always is in September!  (Wake Me Up When September Ends....our theme song).  

I never realized how much BOYS need to use the restroom!  I'm about ready to give them an empty water bottle and say go for it...they also seem to take forever - I thought boys should be much faster in the bathroom than girls.  I nipped that in the bud when I created a bathroom sign-out sheet and now they have to write the time they leave and come back.  Funny thing is, they spend good time standing there at the clock TRYING to tell time.  I smirk, then tell them what time it is.  Maybe this will be a good subliminal way to teach time, since it's not in our standards this year!  I showed them the huge long list from the first day of the sign out, and then showed them Mrs. V's list - I had like 25 listed, she had 6.  It was amazing how the next day, fewer boys needed to use the potty!  I think they just wanted to try out the new sign out.

I had a teacher visit with me before school yesterday about a new 1st grader from Mexico with no English.  She was distraught at what to do and came to me for advice.  I went into ELL specialist-mode and found myself back in the saddle for 5 minutes - later on on my prep, I went and got the little boy and we went for a walk, talking in Spanish, and ended up at a table outside my room where I read with him a Spanish book.  I was assessing many of his skills so that I could give the teacher some info about how he really is (he was quite bright, actually).  I found myself looking into my empty classroom and missing my old job - I LOVED what I did with kids learning English and teachers who needed some help.  I realized that part of my discomfort right now is that I'm NOT good at ANYthing at the moment.  I'm out of my comfort zone, my expertise is null and void at the moment.  Everything is new to me - every day I'm spending 4-5 hours after school preparing for the next day (not getting paid, of course).  So that's an extra 20+ hours a week that I USED to have and don't anymore.  But I HAVE to prepare or else my day flops.  But I'm not feeling good at anything right now - that's part of the problem.  Now I realize that I WAS good at what I did before.

HOUSE WOES - Friday morning I woke to find that my wood floor in front of the kitchen sink had water under it.  It squishes and bubbles water.  I could not find the source anywhere.  My dad came over in the afternoon and tried to figure it out and it perplexes him as well.  I guess I'm going to have to call the insurance company again and see what to do, because IF there is a lot of damage or mildew or mold (I don't know where the leak is coming from nor how long it's been there - it smells musty in the cabinet) the company won't want me horsing around with it.  Joy of joys.  I LOVE my wood floors!  I don't want to have to replace that part of the house with TILE.  Aaarrrgghhh.

Oh, wait...that's not me! 
THE GYM - luckily, I made it to the gym 3 nights this week so far, and hope to spend a SPA night there tonight - work out, then sauna, then pool, then jacuzzi, then the best night's sleep.  Working out relieves a lot of stress and keeps me from sitting at home depressed and munching on everything.  I'm thankful to have some friends that enjoy it, too.  Loralie will text me (or visa versa) everyday - I know we're checking up on each other and that helps motivate us.  Kari goes early in the morning now, and I miss pumping iron with her.  The weather is starting to change and I can't WAIT to get back outside for evening walks of 3-5 miles. 

Shan and I went to the temple last night and then got a bite to eat.  She sure got an earful and I appreciated her letting me spew out my frustrations, then made me look at some of the positives.  She's so good for me - a great example of how to live life.  I think I just need to spend more time with her so it can rub off...... :o)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Okay ...here's my two cents.

I remember feeling that way for about 3 weeks after school started. I think every teacher feels that way, they just don't admit it.

You are good at teaching...remember? It's just like riding a bike. Did you really like hiking when you started?? (answer no, even if it's yes).

The kids will come around. Try playing some classical music in the background. Tell them that when thats on the voices are off. If they can't stick to it, start taking away stuff - like their lunch money. That always seemed to work for me.

Love ya. Hope the hiking was fun today.

Anonymous said...

I knew the pic of the lady exercising on the ball wasn't you because she's a wimp! Did you see those teeny-tiny weights she's lifting? You can do so much more than that! You're waaaayyyyyy stronger than that wimp!

You're way stronger than you realize...physically, mentally, emotionally, teacherly, friendly, well.... you get the idea!