Saturday, May 8, 2010
Amber
When I was 15, my dad was building a pool for a family in the ward. He hooked me up with the best babysitting job I could ever dream of - Amber! I used to doze off on the couch curled up with 6mo old Landon in the afternoons as Ashley slept nearby (or up at Grandma Karma's). Later on, Amber gave me another gift - a new baby boy, Shelby. I LOVE NEW BABIES! She worked at like 4am and sometimes would come home to hide in her room and nap while I watched the kids. I loved babysitting at Amber's regularly after school. She spoiled her babysitters (Sadie, then Amy after I graduated) and we all became good friends. She always gave the best gifts, paid way too much (which I'd hide some of it back in her purses or coat pockets for her to come across later on), and supported us in our hormonal trials. But I think the best part of that budding friendship was after graduating when we were just friends. I loved stopping in, finding her maybe resting in bed, and laying next to her just talking away. That was the BOMB. We had the best talks. She had different insights and was funnier than anyone I knew. I remember when a friend of the family died suddenly, I was destroyed. I ended up at Amber's who let me cry and cry and fall asleep on her couch. Amber is one of my biggest cheerleaders, supporters, butt-kickers, and insight-givers. Over the past 18 years, I have enjoyed her friendship tremendously. I've watched "our" kids grow, marry, become parents, as well as losing Karma this winter. I've witnessed her husband's conversion and their family going to the temple (of course she couldn't wait until I returned from Guatemala!!!) I've really enjoyed her 'get away' house in Cedar City where Amber invites come and read a book all weekend or go shopping or go out to eat or just whatever. She knows when I need an escape from my life, the world and it's pressures. She will always be a refreshing voice and hug. Some people come in and out of our lives, but others come and leave footprints that will never be erased. Thank you, Amber. You were on my mind today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a sweet tribute. We all need an angel here on earth... sounds like you have a GREAT one!!!!! :)
We have been blessed to have you in our lives as well. And I feel very fortunate to be able to call Amber - that amazing woman - my mother. Thank you for all you do for her and who you are in her life. Love to you Robyn
I agree with Ashley, Thank you for being in our lives. I love having another sister and friend. I also love those nap time talks, white mac and cheese and corn dogs. Thanks for making my Mothers day so beautiful. The poem is wonderful. Hugs and Kisses......
Post a Comment